I am a lifelong educator and a lifelong learner.
I have a unique perspective:
- I am currently a graduate student at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, studying Education Policy and Management.
- I have a STEM background: as an undergrad at Denison University, I majored in mathematics with a physics minor.
- I am intrigued by democratic and student-centered models of learning.
- I served as a TFA corps member for one year (this didn’t go very well). I served for two years with City Year–I’m a strong advocate of national service and gap years!
- I am passionate about empowering students to ask their own questions, have their own ideas and insights, and discover and explore their own passions. I love finding new ways for students to learn through creating their own authentic knowledge/art/books/blog-posts/initiatives/organizations/companies to make the world a better place for themselves (and for everyone else)!
- I used to serve as a data analyst for the Achievement Schools in Memphis, Tennessee as part of Education Pioneers. The Achievement Schools are a subsidiary of the state-run Tennessee Achievement School District, which takes over and attempts to turn around the lowest-performing schools in TN.
- I am a co-founder of Convopointer, a new tech start-up that develops an online tool to empower people reading any page on the internet to get immediately connected with other sources of information online that may disagree in some way with the original page/article they were reading.
While at Denison University, I was heavily involved in working to expand opportunities for student community service and social entrepreneurship. I co-created and co-taught a course that explores the overlaps between service, philanthropy, leadership, social entrepreneurship/intrapreneurship, and innovation more broadly.
I have 9+ years of experience coaching academic math competition teams.
At any given point in time, there’s a good chance I’m participating in a few MOOCs (massive open online courses).
I currently have a strong interest in complex systems, dialogue, data science, innovative non-profits, etc.
http://zacksg1.teachforus.org/ (my experiences and reflections on my year teaching 7th grade math as a Teach For America corps member)
http://zackinnamibia.blogspot.com/ (my experiences and reflections on living/working in Namibia during the summer of 2010)
Feel free to contact me: zachary.goldman1 “at” gmail.com (“at”=@)